7.22.2011

Not a Handler

*clap clap clapclapclap*

I had 2 summer league ultimate games last night. And I happened to be on for the last point for both of the games. One was tied at DGP (12's), the other 13-14 on hard cap. Basically, in both of these points, it was essential for my team to score. While the last point tied at 12's lasted a good 20 minutes (2 time outs and an injury were called) and there were plenty and plenty of turnovers, I threw the last turnover that led the other team to score. In my defense though, my receiver was in the endzone and the disc was in his hands before it bounced out. But at the same time, I'm sure there was another easier (more conservative) throw. Either way, I take responsibility of that. As a handler, I should be looking for the easiest throw, not trying to complete the most difficult ones..

And then my game with my actual team. I had been doing okay this game. Somewhat tired because I had track earlier and then that marathon point. Anyways, score was 13-14 bad guys. We needed to score to put us on game point too. We got the D, I had an open look. But then somehow misread a perfect throw. This is why you throw and catch when you are tired.. So that turnover was 110% my fault, bad guys got possession and scored. Boo.

At least this is summer league, and not DGP in the game-to-go to nationals. But I need to prove to myself and my teammates that when that moment comes, I can be trusted with the disc and to make the right decision.

My better is better than your better.

No comments: